Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day Beers

George and I decided to take a pass on the insanity that is dining out on Valentine's Day and instead, hit Toronado - one of our favorite beer haunts- for a few beers and pizza (romantic in it's simplicity, no?). In honor of the hallmark holiday, I tried two VDay inspired brews.

1) Rejection - Russian River Brewing
They bill this as a Belgium-style black ale. It was fantastic! I don't know if I've ever had a black ale before and I was surprised at how tasty this was. Unlike stouts and other darker beers, I didn't taste much coffee in this one, nor did I find any hints of chocolate. Instead, it was just malty goodness and a bit fruity. Yum.

2) Next up was My Bloody Valentine, locally brewed by Alesmith. These guys make some of our favorite beers (Anvil is amazing!). They bill MBV as a red hopped ale - and hopped to the max it is! You could smell the hops from across the table. And you could taste them too, but what was surprising was the lack of bitterness. I expected a biting finish but instead found it kind of sweet and fruity. Another winner.

I know a few great spots around town are pouring these and seeing as they're seasonal, I recommend you hop on over to your favorite pub and have a pint or two.

Happy V-Day-After
/m

No comments: